“I was a big fan of seeing the insides of other people’s houses, especially people who were slightly famous like Melissa,” Frances, narrator of Sally…
A journalist who was reviewing the worst-rated Wetherspoons in North Staffordshire has received an apology from the company after her breakfast had an extra ingredient.
Hannah Hiles, a reporter for Stoke on Trent Live had gone to the branch to try out the breakfast after 1,515 Google reviews had ranked the place just a 3.8 out of five.
But alongside her fried egg, bacon, sausage, two hash browns and toast – and a refillable coffee for £1.20 – she made a grim, and rather dangerous discovery.
She found a sharp shard of black plastic in her £3.95 breakfast at the Arnold Machin, in Newcastle-under-Lyme.
In her review of the meal, she wrote: “I had almost reached the end of my meal – with a couple of bites of sausage and half a mushroom left – when things took a turn for the worse.
"As I bit into the mushroom, I felt something hard and sharp in my mouth – and brought out a piece of black plastic. Fortunately, it didn't cut or scratch me, but it was a bit of an unpleasant surprise.
“It was impossible to tell where it might have come from as there were no distinguishing marks.
Fury as London Dungeons turns Jack the Ripper female for International Women's Day
“I politely told a passing staff member what had happened and she refunded me for the meal straight away and with no fuss.
“If anything, I felt rather awkward knowing that I was there to write a review of my meal and the pub.”
Having reported it to the branch, and included it in her review, she has now received a lengthy apology from the parent company JD Wetherspoon.
A spokesman said: “We sincerely apologise that a small piece of plastic was found in the meal.
“Having investigated the matter with the management team, it is understood that the plastic tray in which the mushrooms were delivered and stored may have sustained damage during transit and, as a result, a small piece of plastic appears to have broken off.
“In accordance with Wetherspoon’s internal operating procedures, the plastic will be sent to our quality assurance team for examination in order to verify that it originated from the delivery tray.
“Wetherspoon has procedures in place to check all deliveries for signs of damage or foreign bodies. Regrettably, on this occasion, the plastic was not identified upon a visual inspection.”
Never want to miss a story like this? You can get all of Daily Star's articles sent directly to your inbox! Sign up in seconds here!
Source: Read Full Article