TWO Royal Navy warships saw off a blockade of Jersey — sending packing a 56-strong flotilla of furious French fishermen. HMS Tamar and HMS Severn…
PRINCE Philip was "not looking forward to being 100", as he spent his final years quietly at Sandringham.
The royal lived a peaceful life after retiring from public duty in 2017, with sources saying he didn't want a fuss for his milestone birthday.
🔵 Read our live blog for the very latest news on Prince Philip's death…
He died peacefully at home in Windsor on Friday morning after spending his time since retiring largely on the Sandringham estate.
Prince Philip happily saw out the last few years painting, reading and carriage driving while staying at Wood Farm, and reportedly planned only to go to church when he turned 100.
The Telegraph's Royal reporter Hugo Vicker said: "He hated fuss and attention directed at himself.
"The prospect of turning 100 in June held no appeal for him. He was permitting no national celebration and the pandemic saved him from that.
"Most likely he would've gone to church as he did when he turned 90.
"He was not looking forward to being 100 and all the fuss that could entail.
"While we mind him missing that significant margin of little more than 70 days, it would not have concerned him.
"It is comforting to know that he was able to be with the Queen for the last days of his life, and in a home he loved so well."
It comes as:
- Queen shares poignant photo of Philip as she talks of ‘deep sorrow’
- Prince Philip funeral arrangements are revealed
- What happens next after Prince Philip’s death?
- When would Prince Philip have turned 100?
- Will there be a Bank Holiday on the day of Philip’s funeral?
The royal passed away two months and one day short of what would have been his 100th birthday.
The Duke was taken to London’s King Edward VII Hospital on February 16 after feeling unwell.
Two weeks later, he was transferred to St Bart’s Hospital for treatment for an infection and heart condition.
Buckingham Palace then announced on Tuesday, March 16 he had been released from hospital and was in "good spirits" and "comfortable", before confirming on Friday he passed away at home.
Just after midday, the Union Flag was lowered to half-mast outside Buckingham Palace and on public buildings across the UK as the world mourns his death.
The Queen, 94, today shared a photo of Philip in a heartfelt tribute to her "strength and guide".
As the consort of the Queen, Prince Philip is entitled to a state funeral.
But in keeping with the duke’s no-fuss public image, it is believed that he had asked not to be given a full state funeral.
Instead, he will be given a military funeral, with a private service held at St George’s Chapel in Windsor and burial in Frogmore Gardens.
The public has been urged to stay away due to the threat of coronavirus.
A statement from Buckingham Palace said: "It is with deep sorrow that Her Majesty The Queen has announced the death of her beloved husband, His Royal Highness The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
"His Royal Highness passed away peacefully this morning at Windsor Castle.
"Further announcements will made in due course. The Royal Family join with people around the world in mourning his loss."
Devastated mourners gathered at the gates of Buckingham Palace this afternoon – with the Royal Family setting up an online book of condolence.
Source: Read Full Article