Pensioner, 92, dies after choking on Brussels sprout at hospital

Pensioner, 92, dies after choking on Brussels sprout at hospital as staff fed him his Christmas dinner

  • James Dingsdale, 92, was fed by a healthcare support worker when he choked
  • ‘Mashed up Brussels sprout’ was found by a laryngoscopy examination
  • Mr Dingsdale died on December 22, two days after going into cardiac arrest
  • He had been admitted to Glan Clwyd hospital after a fall earlier this month 

A pensioner has died after choking on a Brussels sprout at hospital when staff fed him his Christmas dinner.

James Dingsdale, 92, was being fed by a healthcare support worker when he started to choke on the seasonal vegetable at Glan Clwyd hospital in Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire, North Wales, on December 20.

The retired company inspector responded well to treatment when doctors rushed to his aid as he suffered cardiac arrest – but he died two days later when his condition deteriorated.  

A laryngoscopy examination revealed a ‘mashed up Brussels sprout occluding the glottic opening’, a coroner heard. 

James Dingsdale, 92, was being fed by a healthcare support worker when he started to choke on the seasonal vegetable at Glan Clwyd hospital (pictured) in Bodelwyddan, Denbighshire, North Wales, on December 20

A provisional cause of death was given as cardiac arrest due to choking on a mashed up Brussels sprout (file image)

Mr Dingsdale was admitted to Glan Clwyd hospital following a fall in early December.

A provisional cause of death was given as cardiac arrest due to choking on a mashed up Brussels sprout.

The inquest heard Mr Dingsdale, of Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno, had a history of asthma, diabetes and osteoporosis.

Coroner John Gittins said: ‘Circumstances indicate that whilst the patient was being fed by a healthcare support worker at lunchtime on December 20, there was an incident which resulted in a cardiac arrest call being put out.

The inquest heard Mr Dingsdale, of Penrhyn Bay, Llandudno, had a history of asthma, diabetes and osteoporosis. File image of the hospital

‘Unfortunately, subsequently, due to his frailty, he declined and passed away.’

Mr Gittins adjourned the inquest in Ruthin for a date to be fixed.

He said: ‘It is not clear whether the choking episode was the entirely unnatural matter which had led to his passing or incidental in the case of the death of a frail gentleman.’

Source: Read Full Article