Passengers ‘puke their brains out’ as flight bounced around by Storm Barra

Passengers were "puking their brains out" on board a terrifying Dublin Airport flight during Storm Barra, which has battered Ireland.

The incident happened on a plane heading to the capital in the midst of the storm, with Status Orange and Yellow warnings issued by Met Eireann, the Irish National Meteorological Service.

A number of flights were forced to divert or go-around on approach in the gale force winds.

And a passenger on one of the flights shared a clip on TikTok of the tense situation on board, saying that cabin crew were "passing out puke bags" on the bumpy journey.

The caption reads: "When your flight to Dublin makes two attempts to land but can't because of the high winds.. And they proceed to pass out puke bags [because] everyone is puking their brains out."

And the startled passenger later told their followers that the plane was forced to divert to Amsterdam Schipol Airport, although they managed to secure a connecting flight later that day.

It was a chaotic day as the dangerous storm hit, with a Ryanair flight due to arrive in Cork Airport from London Stansted at 8.40am forced to divert to Shannon because of the high winds.

Another Ryanair flight arriving from Birmingham was also diverted after it failed to land as scheduled at 9.05am.

Aer Lingus had already cancelled all flights out of Cork Airport for Tuesday, with the county under a Status Red wind warning.

KLM subsequently cancelled a flight from Amsterdam, which had been due to arrive at 10.30am, while a return flight at 1.05pm was also cancelled.

In Dublin Airport, departures to Newark, Paris and Munich were cancelled but all other flights on Tuesday morning departed either on time or with short delays.

Kevin Cullinane, Group Head of Communications at the Dublin Airport Authority, said winds gusted at speeds of up to 50 Notts throughout Tuesday morning, which made it challenging for aircraft to land.

Gusts of up to 130km/h were recorded on Tuesday as winds and rain caused serious damage across the island, meaning that the waters around Ireland made for a bumpy journey for sea passengers, too.

On Tuesday, a ferry set to depart Dublin port shortly after 8am was delayed for over two hours and ended up taking five and a half hours to get to Holyhead in Wales as a result of the storm.

And the journey wasn't comfortable either, as "bottles starting falling off the shelves and smashed on the floor," according to one passenger who spoke to the Irish Mirror.

"People were very scared. We were in the duty free and all the bottles starting falling off the shelves and smashed on the floor. The furniture slid from one side of the boat to the other. People on board were very frightened and some people we getting sick."

Footage gathered by Ronnie O'Driscoll and his crew at West Cork's famous Fastnet Lighthouse has shown just how fierce Storm Barra was at its worst, CorkBeo reported.

A local ferry company commended the "mental agility of the former Lighthouse keepers who stayed out on the rock for many weeks at a time and faced many a storm."

Source: Read Full Article