Mysterious signals coming from space are 'deeper than first thought', researchers have revealed. The closest fast radio burst was spotted in 2018, at just 500…
Charlie Gard’s parents reveal if they have another baby it has one in four chance of suffering from the condition which killed their son
- Chris Gard and Connie Yates’ boy died after his life support was switched off
- Last year they lost their fight to fly him to Rome or US for experimental treatment
- Couple admit that a new baby has 25% chance of having same rare condition
- Connie said: ‘We’ll think about it down the line – we can’t wait until I get too old’
Charlie Gard’s parents today revealed they could have another baby in future but it will have a 25 per cent chance of being born with the same condition that took their son’s life.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates’ little boy died after his life support was switched off against their will on July 28 last year following a bitter legal battle with Great Ormond Street Hospital.
Charlie was left brain-damaged, deaf and blind after being diagnosed with a rare mitochondrial DNA depletion syndrome only seen in 16 other children.
After losing their legal fight to fly him to Rome or New York for experimental treatment his life support was withdrawn shortly before his first birthday.
Speaking today Mr Gard and Ms Yates admitted they were still struggling to cope with the trauma of their son’s death but didn’t rule out having another child in future.
Chris Gard and Connie Yates say they are still struggling to cope with the loss of Charlie, whose fight for life touched millions around the world
Ms Yates says they are not thinking about having another child but will consider it in future
Charlie died after his life support was switched off against their will on July 28 last year, just before his first birthday
Connie said: ‘We’re not really thinking about having a child right now.
‘All of this is really important to us – we can’t bring Charlie back, but we can try to help people in the future, or other people here now, that’s our focus right now.
‘We’ll think about it a bit further down the line – we can’t wait until I get too old obviously.’
Connie and Chris (pictured outside the TV studios) want to bring in ‘Charlie’s Law’ to give parents more power to decide on their child’s care
The couple both nodded when This Morning host asked: ‘If you were to go on to have more children, am I right in saying there’s a one in four chance that it could happen again?’.
Chris then said: ‘We haven’t had time to think about it’.
Charlie’s life and tragic death touched millions around the world and was brought to the fore again after Alfie Evans’ fight for life in Liverpool.
The toddler died on Saturday, five days after his ventilator was removed against the wishes of his parents Tom Evans, 21, and Kate James, 20.
They too had fought doctors to let them take their son elsewhere for care.
Connie and Chris said their thoughts were with his parents.
Mr Gard said: ‘No one will be in more pain than they are in now.
‘From a personal experience, obviously I do this day, nine months later, I can get very angry at the world and at life.
‘I can get extremely upset – but my overwhelming feeling, and I imagine Tom feels it as well, is pride.
‘Charlie was our little boy. He touched the hearts of people around the world, and so did Alfie.’
Charlie’s illness left him severely brain-damaged and doctors believed it was in his best interests to be allowed to die
Kate James cradling her son Alfie at Alder Hey Hospital in Liverpool, where he died five days after his life support was withdrawn
Speaking today Ms Yates again called for the law to be changed to make the so-called ‘best interests’ test for poorly children fairer and more transparent for parents.
She said: ‘When we were fighting for our son, Charlie Gard to be given a chance to try a treatment that could have improved his quality of life, we realised that cases like these would keep happening until the law was changed. Tragically, this has proven to be true’.
Source: Read Full Article