At least 23 holidaymakers rushed to hospital vomiting and itching after 'being poisoned' at Spanish hotel | The Sun

A MAJOR gas leak at a hotel in Majorca has left more than 20 people poisoned, including children.

Emergency services in the Spanish holiday hotspot have rushed to the site of the chlorine leak at the Sea Club hotel in the resort of Alcúdia.

Majorca publication Cronica Balear reports that more chlorine than normal may have been added to the pool.

Hotel guests began falling ill at around 12.30pm local time (11.30am BST) in the pool area of the Sea Club Hotel in Puerto de Alcúdia.

According to Spanish newspaper Ultima Hora, bathers complained to lifeguards at the hotel pool not long after noon, who then sounded the alarm and ordered everyone out of the pool.

Very quickly, a number of holidaymakers began suffering symptoms including vomiting, skin irritation, and itching.


Tourist suffers ‘serious’ head injuries in 3 storey plunge from Majorca hotel

Spain holiday warning – Covid rules may be brought BACK ahead of summer hols

Early reports claim that the pool ducts which regulate the amount of chlorine became blocked, causing it to burst.

This triggered a large toxic yellow cloud which floated across the pool that at the time was being used for an Aquagym class.

Health workers have treated the affected in the garden area of the hotel, administering oxygen.

At least 23 people have been affected so far including a "significant" number of children, with local reports claiming that the number of casualties may rise.

Most read in News


EasyJet flight intercepted by fighter plane after Brit, 18, 'makes BOMB threat'


Moment Copenhagen gunman stalks mall in rampage that left 2 teens & man dead


Harry Styles cancels gig and says he's 'heartbroken' after shooting


Boy, 14, 'raped woman in nightclub toilet' after bouncer 'left them in cubicle'

A dozen have been transferred to various hospitals across Majorca.

The Majorca Fire Brigade, Civil Guard, and Alcúdia local police have been scrambled to the scene, with a field hospital set up in the pool area where the leak took place.

So far, the pool remains closed off to guests while emergency crews are in place.

    Source: Read Full Article