True story of Sharon Marshall death in Netflix’s Girl in the Picture

Today, Netflix has dropped a new true crime documentary, telling the story of one of the most mysterious cases over the course of the last 30 years.

This is the story of a woman known as Sharon Marshall’s death, and her alleged husband who is believed to be linked to the case.

For years, professionals and enthusiasts have been desperately trying to piece the case together and the new documentary hopes to be the first comprehensive look at all the information.

There are a lot of clues already out there and here is a breakdown of what happened to Sharon that the documentary will cover.

What happened to Sharon Marshall?

The woman known as Sharon lived a life filled with anguish and tragedy, ultimately leading to her death in April, 1990. She was murdered in a suspicious hit and run incident.

Sharon, whose real name was Suzanne Marie Sevekis, was born on September 9, 1969. At the age was just five years old, she was kidnapped by her stepfather Franklin Delano Floyd.

Floyd had been married to her mother Sandi for a short period of time, but when she was arrested and served a 30-day prison sentence after writing a bad cheque for nappies, Floyd disappeared, taking all her four children with him.

Following her release, two of the children were found in foster care, but Sharon and her brother, Phillip Brandenburg, were gone without a trace.

She filed kidnapping charges against Franklin, but this was to no avail as the police said as the stepfather he had the right to take them.

Floyd raised Sharon as his own daughter, even though there was no biological relation. She joined a school where she excelled until a sudden and unexpected pregnancy led to Floyd rushing her our of education.

The two of them moved to Florida, where she worked as an exotic dancer, according to the documentary.

After moving to Florida, he made Sharon change her name again – this time to Tonya Dawn Hughes. At some point he also married the woman he had brought up as his daughter.

Soon after the wedding her son Michael was born, and they moved once again to Tulsa, Oklahoma.

How did Sharon Marshall die?

Sharon, aged 20 at the time, was staying at a motel and had gone out late at night for some last-minute baby items.

She was murdered on the way back to the motel, and died of blunt force trauma to the head, immediately leading to more suspicion.

Franklin then kidnapped her son, Michael Hughes, who was two years old at the time.

He then placed into foster care, and was eventually adopted.

DNA tests proved Franklin was not the father, and around this point he was arrested and sent to jail for parole violations.

Once out of prison in 1994, he entered Michael’s school and kidnapped him by force.

A manhunt was launched for Floyd, and he was eventually arrested after two months in Louisville, Kentucky – but there was no sign of Michael.

In an interview with the FBI in 2015, Floyd admitted he had shot and killed Michael on the day he had kidnapped him. He also disclosed the area the body could be found, however no remains were discovered.

Was Floyd involved in the murder?

Floyd's involvement in Sharon’s murder was never confirmed, and he was never charged with her murder.

According to Entertainment Daily, police believe that he killed her, but were unable to find enough evidence.

It is believed Sharon tried to leave Floyd and run away with a college student she was having a secret relationship with.

In 1995 pictures were discovered in a truck that could be traced to Floyd, depicting Sharon being sexually abused going back to the age of four.

This was the proof the police needed to know that Floyd had sexually abused her, as well as abducted her from her mother.

Who was Franklin Delano Floyd?

Franklin has a criminal record that goes back decades. In 1964 he was arrested for molesting a four-year-old in Georgia.

He actually escaped prison after just one year and proceeded to rob a bank. This led to his recapture when he was sent to prison for the next 10 years.

A decade later, he was released on parole, though he was soon arrested again for assaulting a woman.

Source: Read Full Article