Martin Lewis warns all couples to check if they are owed £1,242 free cash – how to claim | The Sun

MARTIN Lewis' MoneySavingExpert is reminding married couples that they could be entitled to up to £1,242 free cash.

You could claim back hundreds of pounds worth of tax, but you have to act fast to get the full amount.

Marriage allowance is available to couples who are married or in a civil partnership, where one person earns less than the personal allowance threshold of £12,570.

You can transfer £1,260 of your personal allowance to your partner, reducing their tax by up to £252.

In addition to this year's allowance, you can also get it for the previous four tax years -currently 2018/19, 2019/20 2020/21 and 2021/22.

The tax break was worth £238, £250, £250, £252 during those years respectively, meaning you can get up to £1,242 in total.


Martin Lewis warns everyone of eight energy checks you need to do as bills rise

Martin Lewis warns 7million households are missing out on free cash help

But you can only backdate it by four years.

You need to act now get get the amount from 2018/19, Martin Lewis' MoneySavingExpert (MSE) revealed in its latest newsletter.

You could miss out on £238 if you don't apply before April 5 this year.

Once you've claimed you won't need to apply again, but you should let HMRC know if you stop being eligible.

Most read in Money


Next to make huge change – and shoppers won’t be happy


Sandwich chain makes major change to menu & it's great news for shoppers


Wetherspoons is making a major change – and customers will love it


Rishi Sunak vows to cut taxes for working people – what it means for you

Who is eligible for marriage allowance?

You can claim marriage allowance if all the following apply:

  • you’re married or in a civil partnership
  • you do not pay income tax or your income is below your personal allowance (usually £12,570)
  • your partner pays income tax at the basic rate, which usually means their income is between £12,571 and £50,270 before they receive marriage mllowance

You cannot claim marriage allowance if you’re living together but you’re not married or in a civil partnership.

You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2018 that you were eligible for marriage allowance.

Your partner’s tax bill will be reduced depending on the personal allowance rate for the years you’re backdating.

To work out how much you will get you can use the government's marriage allowance calculator.

How can I apply for marriage allowance?

You can apply for marriage allowance for free online through the government's website.

If both of you have no income other than your wages, then the person who earns the least should make the claim.

If either member of the couple gets other income, such as dividends or savings, you can call the Income Tax helpline to work out who should claim.

HMRC will then give the allowance you've transferred to your partner by changing their tax code or when they've sent their self assessment tax return.

Read More on The Sun

Exact time you should turn your heating on during the day to save money

Winter Love Island ‘lines up Molly-Mae lookalike PrettyLittleThing model’

Bear in mind that it can take up to two months to change a tax code.

If your new Personal Allowance is lower than your income after you’ve made a claim, you might have to pay some income tax. However, you might still benefit as a couple.

Source: Read Full Article